Monday, August 31, 2009

Sleepless in the Midwest

Well my son has decided that we really don't need much sleep at night. He went from sleeping through the night, which he has done since he was 5 weeks old to as of last night getting up several times during the night. Mommy is very very tired. He has been really fighting me when I have swaddled him when getting him ready for bed and he usually has some how houdinied (I make up words now) some part (arm, leg) out by one of his many wakings. He first decided that 4:15/4:30 a.m. would be a good time to get up and that we needed to stay up for the day at that time, then he decided that wasn't early enough so he thought he would try 3:15/3:30 a.m. for a couple of days...nope not early enough he decided last night that he would get up at 1:00 a.m., eat, go back to sleep since mommy just left me here, get back up at 4:00 a.m., go back to sleep after 30 minutes of mommy holding my paci in since she is NOT going to feed me again and get up again at 5:00 and then 5:15 and mommy then realizes that my diaper is SOAKED and feels bad!!!

Last night was the first night that he slepted in his sleep sack all night and was not swaddled, so I am guessing that is why he was up so much - those darn startle reflexes!!! But he is putting up such a fight being swaddled and is getting too long for the miracle blanket and the other one (I can't think of the name now...). I did try increasing his formula over the weekend thinking he might be going through a growth spurt and he just spit up SO much that I put him back to where he was....

Any thoughts or suggests AGAIN on this would be greatly appreciated....mommy needs here sleep back...she has to function at work!! UUGGHH. For right now my game plan is to keep putting him in the sleep sack and not swaddle him and hope that he just needs to get used to this and maybe after a week (oh a whole week of no sleep - can I do this....) that he will get back into his routine sleeping again.

But at what point do I let him cry it out....he would really just like me to hold his paci in for eternity...but my arm is going to fall off....my baby boy is not spoiled...no not him!!! :)

7 comments:

LL said...

Is he 4 months old? There is a thing called the 4 month wakeful...it can be a bear! Also, has he started teething, this will also change their sleep habits. Even being at a developmental age where he is accomplishing new milestones will disrupt sleep patterns.

And no he isn't spoiled. : ) He is loved and cared for and comforted.

Honestly, I know it is tiring but I try not to stress about the whole sleeping through the night thing. Babies change so much, their needs change. Their sleep patterns really run in 90 minute intervals so it makes sense that they will wake one or two times during the night.

Shelby never enjoyed being swaddled but she loved the sleep sack. Have you tried just letting him sleep in a footed sleeper? Are his eyes open at these times are is he just squirming around and making sounds. He may not be fully awake and your efforts to get him back to sleep when he is really still asleep may be what is actually waking him up.

I am not a fan of cry it out. Especially before 6 months of age. But I know others do it and think it is alright so really you have to do what is best for your child and for yourself.

Cresent Moon said...

Almost, he will be 4 months on Sept. 5th. I thought something went on around this age with their sleeping patterns..and yes he is drooling all over and can't keep his fists out of his mouth!!!

Sometimes he is awake (smiling that handsome smile at me when I go in there) and sometimes not - I try putting his paci back in first to see if he will go back to sleep before I feed him.

Yeah I am not a fan of the CIO either that's why I want to try some other things first and usually end up holding his paci in and coming back in his room 4/5 times until I just bring him back to my bed in his co-sleeper which I am trying not to use anymore. I just end up so drained when I have to start my days at 3:00 am and stay up and then go to work all day...it all would be much betting if mommy didn't have to go to work...then I wouldn't stress out about it!!

Jamie said...

milo did the same thing when he was around 4 months old.....i thought it was never going to end. it did take about 3 weeks to get through his phase of sleeplessness.... :(
hang in there ~ milo is now 7 months and i've learned that just when things seem to be going well ~ something changes and the sleep issues start all over again! it's really fun!! :)

i did learn that sometimes if i wait just a few minutes of his crying ~ he will fall back asleep. before, i would always go in the minute i heard him crying to try and get him back to sleep. sometimes he does fall asleep and sometimes he doesn't.....but now i wait just a few minutes to see which way it's going to go. :)

just hang in there ~ "this too shall pass". :) i know that doesn't help with your sleep deprivation, but.......maybe double shots of espresso every morning will! :)

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Yikes...I'm sorry!! I wish I had some advice for you too, but I don't. I'll probably (hopefully!) be asking YOU for advice one of these days soon! :) Good luck!

Melba said...

Darn babies...as soon as you get one thing figures out they completely change tactics on you!!

Charlie is also going through sleep changes right now, and he just turned four months old. Definitely a trend there!

Is it possible that he's starting teething? I know Charlie became a lot more restless when he started that project. Now I can pretty much tell when his gums are sore, and once I treat that sleeping is easier.

Good luck...this too shall pass!!

Melba

Bri said...

The four month sleep regression!! You can google it and find lots of info about it. Gotta love it! This too will pass, my friend. R's started at three months and lasted five weeks. There is nothing you can do about it but wait it out. It will get better. One night, R woke FIVE TIMES, and the next night she slept 10 hours strait and for the past six weeks hasn't stirred much at all during the night. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!

We always tried not to pick up R during the night. Even if we fed her, we would do it in her crib. We would pat her butt and rub ber back and lean down and put our faces next to hers so she knew we were there, but we wanted her to know it was sleepy time. I always felt that she was just uncomfortable. The day she started sitting up, she started sleeping through the night.

Bri said...

Also, during this time we got a video monitor and it was a GODSEND!! I thought it was incredibly frivilous before I had one and now it is probably my favorite baby item! I could see if she was just fussing and try to watch her a little if she was going back to sleep. I could also tell if she was smashed in the corner of her crib and unable to roll over or something.