Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Routines....

Okay, I need some help here. For all you mommies out there what are your daily routines with your little ones? Baby boy was 5 weeks old Tuesday and with him being colic its been hard to develop a routine because all he wants is to be held. I want to start getting him into some routine and want to see what others are doing so I need your suggestions and ideas.

We have passed one milestone which is a relief because it was on my mind alot! Our finalization is not far off and we are excited about that as is the rest of our family.

I am finally having my baby shower this weekend. I wanted to wait for the above date to pass to know that everything was okay before we had it. I am really excited and there will be some people there that have not seen him yet so that will be alot of fun.

We are off to our last post-placement visit tomorrow with the agency and then we have his one month well baby check up as well. I am excited for both. I can't wait to see how much he weighs and how long he has grown!!! I am also going to talk about switching his formula AGAIN....does anyone use Enfamil Gentlease.....if so what are your thoughts???? They want to put us on Enfamil Nutramigen but its SO expensive that I want to try the Gentlease first.

Its nice to have some quite time...my beautiful baby boy is sleeping! I am off to get caught up on some other things that have been neglected over the last few weeks. Can't wait to hear your suggestions on for your daily routines and on the formula!

3 comments:

Doripink said...

Our son had to be on Nutramigen for the first 6 months...(did broke us) :) I then moved him to the TARGET brand of Gentle-ease...it compares exactly to Enfamil. He has done wonderful on it and it's only $13.98 for a LARGE can ($11.89 on sale). Also, buy the book BABYWISE..I am a HUGE fan and my son (9 months now) has been sleeping 7-7 since 4 months old!
Best of luck!

Melba said...

Cool, I have Charlie's shower this weekend too...it will be fun to have our little guests of honor present for their own showers, I think!

As for the routine, Charlie is six weeks old, and we don't have one yet. Most of everything I've read or that I know says it's a little too soon to start expecting much in this area. Our pediatrician said the magic number is eight weeks, when you can expect to begin the process of developing a schedule.

Having said that, my schedule allows for me to be at his beck and call right now since I'm out of school for the summer. Also, we are not dealing with the colic issue, which does make a difference.

I guess my plan, once we reach that eight week mark, is to try to begin doing a late evening feeding (maybe 11 or midnight,) and then gradually try to end middle of the night feedings. I think once that happens, the daytime routine will begin to fall into place.

As with all parenting, it's a huge learning curve, I think...and every baby is different. I would definitely say just take it one day at a time, and try not to worry too much about a routine YET.

Good luck...I can't wait to see pictures when you're ready to post them!

Melba

Angie said...

Oh no... the routine! For us, Holly made it easy! She ate every four hours... and still does from day one. Back when she was younger, we had her feeding at 8, 12, 4, 8, and then a middle of the night bottle sometimes. Now she's just doing four feedings at 8a,noon,4p & 8p. She sleeps 8-8 but occasionally will get up a time or two at night to fuss. Mostly she now sleeps through the night. When she was that young, we were sometimes up a lot but usually twice was her magic number.

I have always given Holly three naps a day but she has recently changed that to two and a shorter one. We were doing 10-12a nap and 2-4p nap. The rationale came from the book "Healthy sleep habits Happy Child" which is very similar to babywise I think. They say that you shouldnt' keep a baby awake longer than 2 hrs before another nap. She would then take a random 1hr nap from 5:30-6:30pm. She did really well on that schedule until about 6months. Now we don't do the evening hour and her other two naps seem to be getting shorter & broken up.

We didn't have formula issues but did have a lot of gas. Dr told us she'd outgrow it and she did. At work (I'm a nurse) we use a lot of gentle-ease for colic. Some people do use nutramigen but not until a last resort. Our Dr said not to change the formula because by the time we decided if it was really working, she'd outgrow the fussiness. I was glad we stuck with enfamil lipil. What worked to help her too was when we switched from premixed to powder. It was easier on her.

Good luck with your routine!!