Okay, I seriously have to figure out how to get Baby boy on some type of schedule. I know alot of you might think that 7 weeks is too young but I am exhausted. This son of mine sleeps pretty good throughout the night (except last night) and wakes to eat between 4 -5 hours most nights. Its the day that is so exhausting.
He usually eats between 8-9 pm then gets his bath and then goes down and doesn't wake until between 1 and 2 am - not bad for him. Then he eats, gets swaddled and goes back down and has been sleeping until about 6 am. Eats again, swaddled and then goes back down until between 8:30 - 9:30 am. But then he is up for the rest of the day!!! Its like pulling teeth to get him to take a nap for any length of time during the day. He takes power naps of 10 - 30 minutes a few times a day if we are lucky.
I have tried feeding him, swaddling him and then putting him down for a nap and he just will not do it, he just screams. I have let him cry it out for awhile watching to see if he would tire out and fall asleep and no such luck. I am looking for his battery at this point but can't seem to find it!!! Also when he does go to sleep I have to hold his paci in until he is asleep (10 to 30 minutes) or he will get himself all worked up and will not go to sleep.
Anyone else have a baby so hard to get to sleep and take naps????? I really am not sure where to begin with his schedule but something has to change. I have to go back to work here in about 5 weeks and I want him on some type of schedule before then. Plus I think he would be more content during the day because I just think he is tired since he is up so much during the day...
Onto more fun stuff..... we had Baby boy's baby shower on the 13th and it was everything I ever dreamed it would be. His room is done in jungle theme so they did the shower in Noah's ark them and my Aunt made cupcakes with zebras, elephants and lions on them - they were so cute. I loved having all my friends and family there to celebrate our special day with them and it was so awesome that Baby boy was there to share it as well.
Father's day was awesome. I can't even express what it meant to see my husband open his gifts on his first Father's day. He has waited a long time for this day. We had family over and grilled out and Baby boy went swimming (all of about 7 minutes...) He loves his bath and the peditrican said he was fine to swim as long as he was in the shade, the water was warm and no sunscreen. He loved his pool and his daddy took pictures
Well I have a hungry baby I am off to feed.
Happy 6th Birthday Jovie!
6 years ago







2 comments:
For daytime napping, you might want to try white noise if you haven't already. They make actual white noise machines, or you can just get a CD and play it on repeat. Even running the vacuum cleaner might help. White noise can be very soothing (mimics the sounds from the womb) and it can help to drown out other noises.
My niece really needed that, and it had to be LOUD for her to sleep comfortably, esp. during the day.
Have you looked into the Happiest Baby on the Block video and/or book? It's a baby calming technique (or series really) created by Dr. Harvey Karp. He teaches about how to initiate the calming reflex in your baby using "the Five S's." It can be GREAT for sensitive/fussy babies, and it's really just good info to have in your baby care toolbox! He also has some good ideas about baby care in general.
I really don't know how to instill a routine, other than to just keep on trying. Eventually your baby will pick up on your consistency and your patterns with him, and begin to know what to expect when. I can understand why you are feeling at your wits end with the no daytime naps, that is hard. Much like Angie said about Holly, Charlie has pretty much made things easy for us. He's not on a set schedule, but he pretty much eats every 3-4 hours, and sleeps when he's tired, with play and social time in between.
I just think every baby is different, and if you've found things that work, then do them! Maybe you could swaddle N. during the daytime too. Some babies need that WAY more than others, and I think it's OK to do what they need! One thing that has worked really well for us is baby wearing. If your son likes to be held a lot, this can be a great way for you to go on with your routine while he sleeps. My favorite carrier so far is the BabyBjorn. I put Charlie in that, and he might fuss for a second or two, then he's calm/happy, or sleeping. He really LOVES it, and I have found myself to be A LOT more productive since I started using that daily.
GOOD LUCK...I wish I had a foolproof answer that I knew would work, but I think this is one thing that's pretty challenging about being a new parent, especially when your baby isn't calming easily.
Melba
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have the Happiest Baby on the Block book and read it when I can..haha! I also have a sling but may look into another type of carrier as he is hard to get inot this now with him getting longer he stretches out his legs and fights me to get in it, but once he is in it he loves it...But believe it or not he is actually taking a nap right now.... OMG!!!!
Post a Comment